Tomato rice is one of the most common rice dishes.It is very simple to prepare this delicious rice variety.It is one of my favorite too.Lets see how to make this dish.
serves : 4
Tomato – 2 medium sized
Onion – 1 large
green chillies – 2
oil – 1 tbsp.
Brown basmati rice – 2 cups
Jeera powder – 1 tsp.
whole jeera – 1 tbsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Dhania powder – 1 tsp.
Red chili powder – 1 tsp.
Groundnuts – fistful
Salt – to taste
- Dry roast the groundnuts and keep them aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and wait until it starts to splutter.
- Add some jeera and saute for few minutes,now add the chopped onions and green chilies.
- Add the chilli powder,salt,jeera powder and dhania powder and saute for few minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and wait until it becomes mushy.
- The paste for tomato rice is ready.Now cook the 2 cups of rice in 4 1/2 cups of water and keep it ready to be mixed with the tomato paste.
- Now add the tomato paste to the rice and mix well and add the roasted groundnuts.
- The groundnuts give a nice crunchy effect to the dish.
- This tomato rice can be served with onion raita.