Fresh curry leaves – 1 bunch
oil – 1 tsp.
Red chili – 5 to 6
Asaphotedita – 1 tsp.
Tamarind – gooseberry size
Salt – to taste
Mustard – 2 tbsp.
Fenugreek – 2 tbsp.
A pinch of Asafoetida
- Remove the curry leaves from the stem and discard the stem.
- Heat a portion of oil in a pan,add the red chillies,Asafoetida and roast for nearly 3 minutes.
- Now add the curry leaves to the pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Grind the roasted ingredients into a fine paste in a mixer.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a pan and add 1 tbsp of mustard seeds and wait until it starts to splutter.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the juice and discard the pulp.
- Add the tamarind water to the pan and wait until it starts to boil.
- Now add the curry leaves paste to the tamarind water and cook until the oil starts to separate.
- When you see a thick paste forming, switch off the stove.
- Dry roast the fenugreek and the rest of the mustard seeds in a pan,switch off the stove when the fenugreek becomes slightly brown.
- Grind this into a fine powder and add this powder to the curry paste and mix well.
- This powder is mainly added for more shelf-life.