Preparation time: 1 HR
Cooking time: 20 mins
Kuthiraivalli(Barnyard millet) rice -2 cups
Urad dal – 1/4 cup.
1 small-sized onion
mixed vegetables – 1 cup.(carrot,potato,peas,beans)
Fenugreek seeds -1 tsp.
Salt- to taste
Mustard seeds -1 tsp.
urad dal – 1 tsp.
channa dal – 1 tsp.
Coriander leaves and curry leaves
- Wash and soak Urad dal, fenugreek seeds and Rice for one hour. Mix the Urad dal and fenugreek and leave them to soak.
- Grind Urad dal and fenugreek adding water little at a time till it becomes smooth and fluffy. Keep it aside.
- Grind the rice slightly until coarse and then add water.now add the urad dal batter and salt to the rice batter and grind till they mix well.
- The consistency of the batter should be like the normal idly/dosa batter.
- Remove from the grinder and mix with your fingers to bind them. The warmth from your fingers help the batter to rise.
- Leave it to ferment for 4 to 5 hours.Mix the batter well before use.
- Heat oil in a pan and the mustard seeds.After it starts to splutter, add the rest of the items mentioned under the seasoning section and saute for few minutes.
- Cut the onions and add it to the seasoning.Now add the mixed vegetables and add some salt required for the vegetables and saute for few minutes.
- Now, add the vegetables to the batter along with coriander and curry leaves.
- Pour the batter into the kuzhi-paniyaram dish and cook for five minutes.
- Remove the kuzhi-paniyarams and place them in a plate and serve it hot with some chutney of your choice.
This becomes an excellent snack with tea.